- The Local History Department as an information source at the Community Library of Allegheny Valley (CLAV) enhances the Library’s regular collection in size and depth, and extends the Library’s commitment to meeting the community’s information needs.
- The library is committed to working with local genealogical organizations to obtain genealogical and historical resources for the Pennsylvania counties of Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler and Westmoreland.
- Genealogical and historical resources available in the Local History Department are provided equally to all library users. Circulating materials are available only to valid library card holders.
Department Use Procedures
- A visitors’ book asking for name, address, date and research topic should be signed upon each visit to the Local History Department.
- Briefcases and bags are permitted in the Department, but not opened on the worktable, as space is limited.
- Visitors to the Department should not reshelve materials.
- Fragile materials, so indicated, must be attended to by staff.
- Certain materials, so indicated, may not be photocopied.
- Do not write on or in the materials.
- No food or beverage permitted. Cell phones and beepers must be turned off if such device makes an audible sound.
- Department users will be charged full replacement cost for damaged materials.
Microfilm Use Procedures
- A two hour time limit will be enforced as needed if other patrons are waiting to use microfilm reader.
- Out-of-town visitors may reserve microfilm readers. Reservation will be lost after 10 minutes for no-shows.
- Only one roll of microfilm may be removed from the storage drawers at a time. After viewing the film, leave the film out. Staff will return microfilm to storage drawers.