Library cards are free to residents of Allegheny County or Pennsylvania residents with an Access PA library card. Library accounts expire every two years and must be renewed with ID.
To Apply for a Library Card
- Stop by the library and complete a print application
- Submit your application online. (You must be 18 years of age or older to apply online.)
To receive your card, you must present valid identification showing proof of your current address and a photo ID.
Minors ages 0-12 require a parent to present ID and sign for the account.
Minors ages 13-17 with their own proper ID may register for their own account. A parental notification will be sent by mail.
Minors ages 13-17 with photo ID but no proof of address may request a postal mailer-please ask at the desk.
The following details acceptable ID for opening or renewing an account. Applicants must show identification which includes BOTH a photo and proof of current address. (One document may be acceptable if it serves both purposes). All applications must be signed to be valid.
Acceptable for Photo ID
(Must be valid/current except where noted and have photo.)
- PA Driver’s License
- PA Identification Card
- Other US State’s Driver’s License if accompanied by local address verification (see below)
- Expired PA Driver’s License if accompanied by local address verification
- State ID
- Military ID
- Work ID
- Student ID
- Medical Insurance Card
- Acceptable Proof of Address
(Must be valid/current and dated within the past 6 months; online printouts may be acceptable at the staff’s discretion.)
For adults 18 and over and teens 13-17 (with photo ID):
- PA Learner’s Permit
- Vehicle registration card
- Vehicle insurance card
- Medical insurance card (if carries address information)
- Lease/Rental agreement (house, apartment, dormitory)
- Property tax receipt
- Utility bill (electric, gas, telephone, water-dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Paycheck (dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Bank Account statement (dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Credit Card billing statement (dated within 4-6 weeks)
- Report card from the most recent grading period
- Postal mailer from the Community Library (postmarked within 4 weeks)
For minors ages 0-12 and teens 13-17 (without photo ID):
- Child/youth must be present to register
- Parent/guardian’s ID is required, will be listed on account*
- Parental signature required on application*
*Emancipated minors should be registered as adults.
If parent is unable to come to the library with minor, the two forms of identification required will be:
Application Form with addressed and postmarked postal mailer and signature of parent
Parent ID Information — must be included on the application
Not Valid Identification
(Unacceptable identification includes, but is not limited to, the following:)
- Hand-addressed/personal mail
- Business cards
- Sales receipts
- Magazine subscriptions
- Junk bulk mail
- Social Security card
- Birth Certificate