Community Library of Allegheny Valley strengthens the community by inspiring ideas, enriching lives and encouraging lifelong learning.
It is the Library’s vision to:
- Excel in customer service
- Be the first choice for information
- Anticipate and meet changing needs
- Assure equitable access to the Library’s resources and services
- Be a dynamic force in the community
Customer Focus: The Library values all customers and is responsive to their service needs. The customer’s opinion and input is welcomed in all initiatives and undertakings. We consider the impact on the customer in all decisions.
Excellence: The Library values excellence, individually and collectively. We offer quality service to all customers by displaying a positive attitude, valuing the diversity of people and perspectives, and expecting integrity and competence in our personal and professional actions. We strive to earn the trust and confidence of all customers.
Open Access: The Library values free, open, unrestricted access to its collections and services. We are committed to connecting our customers to the ideas, information and materials they wish to explore in a friendly, nonjudgmental manner. We strive to offer materials, programs and services that represent the needs of our diverse population.
Growth and Innovation: The Library values continuous learning and innovation in the pursuit of excellence. We respond to present situations and anticipate future needs.
Good Stewardship: The Library values responsible stewardship of all the resources with which we have been entrusted. We are accountable for ensuring the proper use of public funds. We take seriously our responsibility to maximize the efficiency of staff time and talent making the best use of all our resources in the delivery of quality library service.
Family Place Library Designation
What is Family Place?
The first three years of a child’s life begins the foundation for learning. As a Family Place library, we want to provide our families with early childhood and parenting information, emergent literacy, and a place for socialization and support for the entire family. Family Place knows the importance of good health, early learning, parent involvement and the support of the community all play a critical role in young children’s growth and development.
Please check out our Family Place Library core elements:
- A welcoming space for young children and their parents (Play With Me)
- Books, toys, DVD’s, Music and other materials for infants, toddlers, children and parents
- Our Parenting Section which contains books, DVDs, music, etc. that emphasize emergent literacy, reading readiness and parent education
- Lap Sit-A program that follows Pennsylvania Reading Standards for children Birth to 3 years of age and an adult.
- Story Time- A program for children 3 to 5 years of age that follows the Pennsylvania Reading Standards.
- Outreach to new and under served populations.
- Discover and Learn Family Workshop- a five-week parent/ child workshop featuring local professionals, such as a nutritionist, speech therapist, child development experts, who serve as resources for parents.
We are proud to be a “Family Place” library and we invite you to stop in with your child so you both can enjoy our “Play with Me” area! This area features a large wooden dollhouse, Lego table, kitchenette and much more!
For More Information
For more information about Family Place Libraries, visit the official website at: http://www.familyplacelibraries.org/